Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Squirrel!

I was out in the backyard a few week ago and noticed this squirrel just chilling on our brick wall.  I have never seen a squirrel lay flat like that.  It was definitely enjoying the cooler temperature under the fig tree!  Can you see it?
And then, I am guessing this is the same squirrel.  This time it was in our front yard and it had a huge nut in its mouth!  Where on earth did it find the nut??!
As long as it stays away from our apple tree in the back!  I haven't had to buy too many apples this fall.  It's been nice being able to just pick them in the backyard:
The boys like eating the (mostly green) apples with peanut butter as a snack.  And we have lots of figs too!  Unfortunately, most of them are being attacked by gnats before I can actually get to them.  And some of them are exploding on the stem and dripping juice and making such a mess to our mulch and cement wall.  I am not happy about this!  As it has also attracted flies and bees and birds.  Definitely a win for them in this scenario!
Maybe when the tree becomes dormant, we will have to trim it down all the way so that way, I can actually reach the figs when they ripen next season.  I actually only had my first fig in the boys' music studio a couple of weeks ago.  The lady there was eating them and I made a comment about never actually eaten one before.  It definitely has an interesting texture and taste but after a few in the garden, they do taste pretty yummy :-)

No comments: