Sunday, September 29, 2019

Downspout to rain barrel

We are suppose to get some rain this weekend so I finally got my act together to fix up our downspout to the rain barrel.  The rain barrel had been sitting underneath one side of the roof where there are no gutters - catching rain water when it did rain.  And then, recently with all the dew in the morning, our gutter is actually leaking so I moved it to catch some of the water that has been dripping from the leak:
So yet again, another project that took longer than necessary as there was more than one thing to get done.  I had to clean out the gutter - quite the pile of roof shingle granules!  And then, the old caulking was peeling off so I had to remove those and go out and buy more caulking... and then, I used the magic "as seen on TV" spray to make doubly sure that the water was not going to leak through!  Had to fix up 4 seams so we'll see how it all holds up when the rain does show up!  In the meantime, we are collecting water from the dew in the morning!

I hope that stand holds up too!  The ground is not very level there, so I put a couple of fig tree branches to even it out and also put some bungee cords around the post. I hope the rain barrel doesn't topple over and take the post and roof down!  Only time will tell I suppose. Ha ha!
And oh, now that part of the downspout has been removed and the wood post is exposed, I need to sand it down and paint too!  See... never ending with this house!  But it's our house :-)

No comments: