Thursday, May 20, 2010

Our first tornado warning!

Last night, there were a line of storms coming through. And just as I put dinner on the table around 7:30pm or so, the sirens came on! I had sent a text message to our neighbor earlier yesterday saying that if the sirens do come on, Bobby and I would be over in a jiffy. They have some crawling space beneath the foundation of their house. They did find a tiny snake in there the first time they discovered the space - but snake vs. tornado, I guess I'd go with the snake too! :-)
So anyhow, I quickly woofed down my chicken dinner and of course, Bobby is struggling with his because it's one of the only times I decided to braise chicken thighs (i.e. BONES!!!!). I head up stairs to quickly change and just as we were about leave, the sirens stopped. Bobby looks out the front door and there are a bunch of the neighborhood kids wandering out front at the other neighbor's house, taking pictures! Mom/Barbara... if you're reading this - no, there weren't taking pictures of the tornado touching down. There were just really dark clouds :-)
After chatting with this other neighbor for a bit, we went back into the house as it started to drizzle. We continued to watch the radar on the local tv station. At about 8:30pm, just as I was about to scoop out some ice-cream (and you wonder why the baby is over 9lbs!), the sirens went off again! Arghh! By this time, the rain is coming down really hard outside and Bobby is convinced that we can just stay put. Thankfully the sirens were only on for a brief moment.
While watching the 10 o'clock news, the question came up about putting the kids to bed despite the continued tornado warning. And the answer was yes, go ahead,... the worse is over. So with that, we decided to call it a night as well. But phew! What a night! I'm glad our lil' Graham didn't decide to come out last night!

1 comment:

The Beams said...

I'm glad you were then able to eat your ice cream, too! :)