Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Rain barrel project in the yard

I finally started working on getting one of the two rain barrels situated - this one in the front yard.  I had to ask my neighbor for his saw and he was kind enough to come by and even take care of the downspout for me!
It was a bit tricky for me to level the ground but hopefully the cinder blocks will be sturdy enough.  Still have to secure the barrel and hopefully no earthquake between now and then because it would be a bad thing seeing this barrel pummel our neighbor's car and/or rolling down the street to the main road! YIKES!!! I guess I really better get to it tomorrow!!!
I couldn't figure out how to deal with the overflow from the rain barrel but decided on putting on a hose and burying it under the dirt.  The hose is now also hidden under the trench along the side of the house.  I hope this idea works!  Although I still have to figure out where and how to redirect the water as I plan on putting a rose garden out front as well.
So the hose is underneath these river pebbles.  I have moved some succulents to this part of the yard and started mulching.  Although I found a whole ant hill in the big bag of mulch.  YUCK! Looks like putting the mulch for months under the trampoline was not a good idea.  Now I know!  I am also recycling Bob's newspapers instead of using weed/landscape fabric but might be messy if the newspapers start rotting when it gets wet???!
I am so glad I didn't procrastinate in getting the downspout ready and redirecting it into the rain barrel as rain came down the following day once it was set up!  With as little rain as there was that day, the rain barrel is already 3/4 full:
Can't believe all the rain we have been getting this year although it is starting to dry up and the temperature is rising.  I will have to send photos to the City soon as they require it to make sure we are actually installed the rain barrels properly.  I hope I pass! There is also the other rain barrel that needs to be set up properly in the backyard.  So far it is just collecting water from an overflow from a section of the roof-line and the barrel is already full!  So obviously too heavy to move at this moment.  More updates to follow then :-)

No comments: