Saturday, May 14, 2016

Short trip to New Jersey

I recently had to make a trip to NJ for an appointment with the government. Don't panic... everything is A-OK!  Anyhow, Bobby and the boys couldn't come with me this time as there was no availability on the airplane.  Can you believe that? Plane was packed full!  I actually had to leave from a Tuesday to Monday for a Friday appointment.  All that for just 1-hour appointment!

In any case, I had to get the household ready for my absence.  That meant lunch box packing instructions for the boys and their schedule up on the kitchen cabinets!
By the way, forgot to mention - I actually had no choice but to travel First Class in order to get on the airplane. I know, tough life and thankfully Bobby works for an airline!
3 windows + one more next to my seat in First Class!
Love this photo that I took down below on take-off of Ferrari World (the red structure) and Yas Marina Formula 1 track (bottom right).  Yas Links Golf Club is to the bottom left.
Yes, they do spoil you quite a bit when it comes to meal time:
And during bedtime too! I thought it was funny how the seat-belts actually go through a slot in the bedding.
I don't mean to complain but I thought the menu for the seat adjustment was almost too complicated!
Welcome to JFK!  Yes... very cloudy, gloomy, but thankfully not too crazy cold!
The week went by so quick in NJ.  I celebrated Mother's Day away from the boys this year. I'm still waiting for rain check?

There's just something about bridges that I really love.  Here's a glimpse of the Verrazano bridge that we drive across from JFK to Newark and back. It was built in 1964 and who knew that it still stands as the largest suspension bridge in the world at 4,260ft or four-fifths of a mile!
The trip back to Abu Dhabi was rather exciting actually.  I got to fly First Class (on the upper deck) on the new Airbus A380. Now, that's a big plane - 555 passengers in a 3-class configuration. That's a lot of people in one airplane!
These seats are much more comfortable!
Needless to say, the "Apartment" is very nice and spacious.  I had this whole bench section to the left (seat to the right), which converts into the bed. There are sliding doors that closes for privacy for each Apartment.
Speaking of bed, not too shabby!  I definitely got to catch up with all my movies on this trip. I think I watched about 6 movies going to NJ (I was awake almost the entire 14 hours!) and about 3 movies back inbound.
Yes, again - spoiled with the dining on these flights:
There's also a whole vanity section in the Apartment.  Seems like the only thing missing is the sink!
And what else is fancy, you may ask? Well, how about the automatic window shutters?  Yes, it was so fancy I had to take a video of it! :-)
And last but not least, a photo of the shower.  Yes, you heard that right.  I took a shower on the airplane while it was at an altitude of 41,000ft!  It was a little tough to take a good picture of it but you can see the shower head towards the ceiling/top side of the photo.
The showers are timed at 5 minutes per session.  There is a timer that is an electronic dial by the temperature control gauge, which changes colors from green to yellow to orange and finally red. I have to say, the shower was a very nice touch!  I did have issues turning it on the first couple of times. Nothing like having the Chef on board seeing you peek through the bathroom door in your towel.  Oh yes, chefs on board in all First Class cabins!

There was a whole other section on the airplane called the "Lounge" that I didn't get to check out.  Maybe next time, honey?????? ;-)  Although, it will probably be a while before I actually have to travel on my own again.  Especially after seeing how distressed Charlie was during our Skype sessions.  He would tuck his head into Bobby and say "I miss Mommy" and start crying.  It broke my heart!  And when I returned, I saw this drawing that Charlie did while I was away:
Hmm... I'd say Charlie was rather stressed when I was away.  But at least it was still a smiley face???

No comments: