Friday, August 19, 2011

HOT Summer!

I think we've basically given up counting as to how many days we've gone beyond 100F! It's been so crazy hot here, it's not even funny. And our plants can definitely tell you that!

Our Christmas tree that we planted in December...
Dead!

Our blueberry plants...
Dead!
(Well, they really never did much, so I guess maybe it was time to move on to something else?)

The tree and shrubs on the side/front of the house...
Quite dead!

The shrub by the back deck that was green and full this past Spring...
Almost dead!

Our maple tree out front...
Half dead!

The only thing that actually grew was...
our Aloe Vera plant!

Look at the new baby aloe shoots! I think next year we'll just transform our garden into a desert! That should definitely survive these hot summers!

And since there is a voluntary water restriction going on in our county, we decided to just shut off the water to our vegetable garden. The deers are probably really happy that I've taken the fence down - although it didn't really stop them too much from eating my tomato and green bean plants!

And with the heat too, we've been wearing our hats a lot and I can never figure out where to put them! So I finally decided to just make a little hat hanger for our laundry room.
Not too shabby, I guess. I basically just used some wire and twisted it around. If anything, it was a cheap solution!
I used a wine cork for the center of the flower and I shaped the end of the stem into a hook. I think it serves its purpose quite well, for now :-)

No comments: