Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pregnancy update - 22 weeks

Just had another doctor's appointment this week and glad to say that all is well! We didn't get to see the baby via ultrasound as the doc has now moved to a different location and not all rooms have the equipment. He said that ultrasounds are gimmicks, but then again he had to agree with Bobby that the machines are really COOL gimmicks! In any case, it does save some money (thank goodness for health insurance!).
So the appointment was a quick one. We were able to hear the baby's heartbeat through a heart monitor - which is always very self-assuring that he's still living and breathing in my belly! I do feel him kick occasionally now, especially when his hungry... or wait, would it be when I'm hungry???
And I am now officially an "outie"! My belly button started becoming an outie probably about a week ago, during our last week of our vacation in New Zealand. You can see it poop through my shirts now. Scary!!! And there's so many other things that they don't tell you in the books. Like you start to lose your breath when you have to bend over and pick something up or when you try to put your shoes on. I basically have to squat... knees pointing outwards, letting my belly hang freely downwards before I can get to the ground! It will be an experience trying to cut my toe nails in the next few weeks! :-)
And I'm only halfway through my pregnancy. How much bigger am I going to get?! I've already gained about 13 lbs so far. Studies show that an average woman should gain 25 to 35 lbs during pregnancy. So guess I still have quite a bit to go!

No comments: