Thursday, December 3, 2009

Boeuf Borguignon - Attempt #1

Inspired by the movie "Julie and Julia" and of course, by Julia Child, I bravely took on the task of cooking Boeuf Borguignon for the very first time. Well,... let's just say it won't be the last! (Or will it be???)
There were numerous versions of the recipe online and I went with one where the instructions were about a page and a half long! Well, to make the story short... here are the results:
As seen in the pic, it was a complete disaster! In the movie, Julie actually burnt her first Boeuf Borguignon as well but that was because she fell asleep on the couch. Mine only took less than 3 hours to burn! The funny thing is, I could smell the dish when I opened up the oven and it actually smelled really good! So I was really surprised when I opened up the casserole pot!
Maybe it's because I completely ignored the part of the recipe that said "Cover and place in the oven, adjusting the heat so the liquid simmers very slowly for 3 to 4 hours".
Thankfully, I had bought a frozen pizza the day before while grocery shopping. The pizza sure looked a lot better next to the burnt pot!
I guess I shouldn't have laughed at Bobby when he burnt the pancakes last weekend :-P I still think it was a bad recipe. I will have to look for another version of it for Attempt #2 :-)

No comments: