Sunday, May 19, 2019

First bonsai experience

For whatever reason, Graham wanted a bonsai - which is an art in itself.  It is a Japanese art form, where according to Wikipedia... uses cultivation techniques to produce small trees in containers that mimic the shape and scale of full size trees.  I'm not too sure about this statement because some of the bonsai that we saw at this Bonsai Fair were quite large!

There was a free bonsai giveaway for 15 newcomers at this Bonsai Fair a few weekends ago.  Since Graham had baseball, Charlie tagged along with me to claim one for Graham. Unfortunately, we were too late! But we stayed for the workshop.  Can't pass up free donuts!
Like I said, these bonsai are not small:
This is what I am more familiar with, as my dad did a lot of bonsai-ing when I was a growing up in Malaysia:
Here was the free giveaway and each "student" would get some assistance in transforming this plant into an actual bonsai:
Time for a we-fie!
Charlie got bored so he asked for my phone to take a few photos on his own. Looks like he needs some photography practice!
Looks like he is also practicing on his selfies :-)
Much better!
Charlie actually took this one - totally focused!
We were roaming around the bonsai sale area and picked out a couple of bonsai and also new pots. Unfortunately they didn't accept card as a payment so we had to go out looking for an ATM machine!  And of course, the one next door by the police station wasn't working.  So... anyhow, it was a nice walk around the neighborhood.  I am glad there were no pine cones yet on this tree. The warning says:
FALLING PINE CONES
VERY HEAVY 10 lbs
WATCH YOUR HEAD

YIKES!!! 
I love these trees with the red bristle-like looking flowers:
I hope these bonsai survive! They seem really delicate:
On the way home, we stop by for some noodles.  A friend of mine mentioned that this restaurant has yummy noodles. And who knew they had lots of other kebabs too!
I am glad Charlie enjoys noodles as much as I do!
And he likes "boba milk tea" too - it's milk tea with what looks like little tapioca balls or pearls.  Also YUMMY!!! :-)
The next day, we are back at the bonsai fair.  This time there are free Cheetos:
This bonsai master is over 90 years old!
Okay... our turn to tackle our own bonsai projects:
Currently, this little one seems to be struggling a bit.  Maybe not enough water??? The leaves are drying out a bit.  Not sure if you can see it, but there are wires wrapped around the stems.  That is how you can shape your plant:
This other ones seems to be doing well.  This is a persimmon plant.  Perhaps it's doing well because there is actually a worm in its soil?!?  It came with the plant so we decided to keep the worm in the new pot :-D
More additions to the yard is my new frog!  I saw it months ago at a store but decided not to buy it. And then, I saw it again just this past Friday and still didn't think it was worth it.  But then of course I mentioned it to Bobby and look who has a new home!  I am calling it my "Serenity-now Frog".  And yes, it brings me JOY (in reference to Marie Kondo who is a Japanese organizing consultant, who seems to be quite popular these days):
The Bonsai Fair was also selling succulents as bonsai.  I will have to figure that out since we obviously still have lots of succulents around the yard too.  Wish me luck!

No comments: