Sunday, May 12, 2019

Back yard/patio cleanup

Can't believe it has been 6 months now since we have moved into this house.  I know this because our water filter by the kitchen sink is blinking and needing a new filter! 

I finally called the local disposal service to pick up some big items and come to find out, we didn't start our service with them and haven't been paying for trash collection.  Oops!!!
And old antenna, a couple of sliding doors from the laundry area,...
and also the previous home-owner's dishwasher! The plumber was suppose to pick this up but never did.  Oh well!

During cleanup, I picked up an empty bag of sand (which I had emptied out for the patio) and looks what I found.  Mom/Barbara... you might want to just keep scrolling to the next photo!
At first I thought it was 2 lizards making out, but after looking at the photo more carefully it looks like a lizard biting a snake on its head??!  Well, I think I did the right thing to just cover these reptiles back with the same bag. Ha ha!

Yes, another project for a new rain barrel stand.  I found it at the Goodwill for $3!
I haven't really figured out what sort of bin/canister this is.  It's part metal and part cardboard maybe... but seems sturdy enough.  I guess only time will tell when the rain barrel gets filled up again. It hasn't rain much at all lately:
The previous home-owners left this filing cabinet in the shed so I decided to repaint it and bring it back to life:
Here is the condition of the shed, by the way.  Or "she-shed" as the boys call it (referring to a TV commercial):
And the clean-up after!
I  know it's not looking like much, but at least the walls have been painted and sealed and hopefully water-tight!  I also moved Bob's old computer table (from Phoenix) into the shed.  And underneath it is something I picked up for FREE.  More space to put more junk.  YAY!!! :-)
I repotted this Valentine's pot with another succulent from the yard.  The previous one from February didn't last indoors.  Oops!
Other fixes around the house... I put a tarp underneath the trampoline.  We got tired of weeding underneath there!


I decided to spray paint my wicker chair as well.  I believe this IKEA purchase from years ago (also from the Phoenix house) should have been an indoor furniture but we don't have any more space inside!
So I went out and bought some outdoor paint.  Somehow the purple color was calling my name.  Maybe a bit much but hopefully once I can find the pillow, it won't look to bad.  Fingers crossed ;-P
In the meantime, I also had to clean-up some dead plants.  I can't believe this mint plant didn't make it! Mint plants are like weeds!!!
And this was previously a lavender plant.  I guess I may have jumped on the purchase too soon as I didn't get it into the ground quick enough.  Somehow neither one of these plants have done well indoors!
I did put these succulents together - think I did a pretty good job!  The glass bowl is from a lady whom I met when I posted a note about recycling bubble wrap online.  She was moving away and gave this pretty bowl to me before she left.  Hopefully these succulents will survive indoors:
I was using the glass bowl as our water fountain but found another Goodwill purchase for that instead. Quite the steal for what looks to be a big popcorn bowl for only $4 and this plastic one will be safer too:
The roses planted by the previous owners are blooming!
It's quite a mess but will get to it later.  But check out these two roses - one white and one yellowish orange on the same stem!
The milkweed is growing too. I saw some mature milkweed plants at Home Depot and was so tempted to get those instead!
And hey look!  There are new leaves from the poinsettia plant - also left in the garden by the previous owners.  I almost threw this out but moved it in the front yard instead.  Haven't really even watered it consistently so perhaps it just needed some time to recover from its transplant perhaps 4 months ago:
Lots of exciting things happening in the yard! :-D

No comments: