Monday, April 8, 2019

Home progress

Graham has really been wanting a bonsai and so we went to a bonsai nursery.  Well, who knew bonsai plants could cost hundreds and thousands of dollars!!! So once got home, we went to our front yard and put a couple of succulents into a couple of pots.  Ha ha!  I am glad we didn't buy any bonsai plants because the boys haven't really been watering these. Ha! 
This other plant is my big bonsai plant. I found it neglected on the side of the yard - left behind by the sellers. I pulled it into the sun and added more soil. There is actually a clay pot within this pot. Hopefully it will survive and add some more character to our deck:
I am still busy moving plants around the yard.  It is sloooooowly coming together:
Who knew those citronella plants have flowers on them!
It has been so dry in parts of our yard despite all the rain we had these last few months.  Makes me really worry about the foundation of our home! 
I finally organized the garage a little bit.  I can actually see some floor!!!
I really wanted to get the boys' baseball gear organized as it was taking over our foyer:
Sort of like how all this other stuff is taking over the ping pong table in the back patio. 
Well, technically I am still working on the mold issue that is in the "she-shed".  Yup, "she-shed" just like in that TV commercial.  There was some water damage and paint was flaking off, so I had to clean that up and repatch with concrete:
It was my first time working with concrete - trying to mix it to the right consistency.  I hope it works out!
The mold kept coming back despite having the areas cleaned up 3 separate times.  I was finally able to paint it today within the hour of cleaning it again:
I think this mold-killing paint is actually working!  I hope I can sort out this shed and start putting things away eventually so we can have playdates over.  We haven't even had a house-warming party yet!  I still have to get waterproofing paint as that moisture/mold is or should I say "was" coming through from the soil that is on the opposite side of the wall.  Phew!!!  Let's just say there is never a dull moment in repairs with this house.  Don't even get me started with the ceiling of the back patio.  Aaaahhhhh...!!!!

The side of the house is coming along sloooooowly as well.  I can't remember how many bags of river pebbles we have bought now.  I think we are close to 30 bags now? Or even more???
More mulching as well.  Lost count with the number of bags of mulch too!
I have been using newspaper instead of weeding tarps.  We'll see how well that will work out!  But so far the thread is still holding up on the trampoline tear.  I did find another HUGE tear that the fig tree had caused:
I knew I saved this big needle for something.  I had bought a necklace back in Abu Dhabi and this needle was used to tag the artist's brand.  Ha!
Trampoline fixed!!!  Just so glad I didn't fall off the ladder :-D
Everything is starting to bloom, including our grapes!  These were planted by the previous owners.  I never knew grapes started out like this:
Hopefully we will be able to taste some!  In the meantime, we are doing our part in helping out the Monarch butterflies.  Here is our 2nd attempt in growing some milkweed plants.  Wish us luck!

No comments: