Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Library trip

I decided to take Graham and Charlie to a different library - one that is actually closer to our apartment and school.  Although smaller and older (opened in 1930), I really loved the coziness of this one.  You'll know what I mean in a second.  But first, some lovely landscaping along the road where we parked.  Amazing how pretty cacti and succulents can be.  Didn't realize there were duplex apartments right by the library. 1bed, 1bath 800 sqft for over $2,000 though???  YIKES!
A cute rabbit sculpture reading a book on the bottom of the hill:
Seems that there is also an art gallery.  We will need to check that out next time:
Not sure if this water fountain actually works, which is really too bad.  It would have been nice to have that water feature:
Up a few more steps and there is a nice green space.  We have yet to see the peacocks here!  We walked through the front door, hung a right and Ta da!!! The high-beamed ceiling inside is so unique - I have never seen anything like it before.  The architect Myron Hunt calls the style of this architecture "Mediterranean Revival". What does that even mean??!
There are random giant teddy bears laying on the floor.  I keep telling the boys to stay away from them!  Who knows how long those bears have had a bath????!
Graham has found the stash of hand puppets.  He really likes this giant tarantula!!!
See what I mean by cozy???
Charlie loves to just hang out by this table and color.  On our 2nd visit, he practically just dashed to this table the minute we walked into the library:
Oh, this section is also probably the boys' favorite section - the DVD section!
No reason for us to buy new DVDs at this rate!  There is another section of DVDs as well by the other "non-kid" section. I think it was $2 a day for most recent releases and other older ones for $1 week. Pretty good deal, I think!  And I just found a whole section of music CDs as well.

Okay, now back to MY favorite part of the library... the jigsaw puzzle table!  What a nice little surprise!!!  Note to the boys' Grandma and Pop-pop, you definitely need to visit us now and we can spend all day at the library! :-D
On our 2nd visit to the library a few days later, a brand new jigsaw was already out at the table.  The boys and I got busy and started working on the edges. Glad they enjoyed it as well :-)

By the way, I missed a couple of other random photos in the previous posting.  This one was of the boys taking turns to use my cassette player.  Yes, you heard right - cassette player! A double player no less!  I found my old cassette tapes while I was unpacking (yes, still unpacking and yes, I saved my cassettes).  The boys were really curious as they have never seen anything like this before. Gosh, I am getting old.  Anyhow, I have had this stereo since college and within the first couple of weeks of using it here, we have already broken one side of the player. Urgh!  Oh well... maybe I will find another one at a thrift store. The left side squeaks a lot when it is playing, although that is good white noise +  music as well. Ha!
Last but not least, here is something that Charlie brought home one day from school.  I am so impressed because even I can recognize Abraham Lincoln!
Charlie said it was a step-by-step that he followed in class.  Charlie is so confident in his drawings because he said that he IS going to be an artist one day.  I sure he has some sort of backup plan!

No comments: