Wednesday, December 7, 2016

First attempt at Tiramisu

I have been taking some Italian classes at school this term.  A mom has been volunteering her time to teach - which is so great!  We have had classes for about a couple of months now.  During the last class, she shared an authentic Tiramisu recipe.  It was a lot easier than I had expected! Although I did not realize that the cream is actually raw eggs.  Blahhh!!!  But so YUMMY!!! :-)

First, beat the 3 egg whites until it doesn't fall out when the bowl is tipped over.  Yes, those were the actual instructions!
Then, beat the 3 yolks with 1/4 cup of sugar and 250g of mascapone cheese.  And slowly mix the egg whites into the cream,  with a spoon. Once it is all mixed up, let it set in the fridge for about 15 min.  After that, let the production line begin!  I figured it was best to put the tiramisu into little individual cups. I had prepared the coffee earlier so it would cool.  Soak the ladyfingers/biscotti in the coffee and place it in a row, in the tray or in this instance, a cup. Add a layer of cream on top and then, just repeat. Simple!
Looking good!
And finally, the cocoa (bitter) powder.  I may have skimped on this so will have to put more next time. I wish I had a sifter but the cheese grater worked quite well too :-)
Let it set in the fridge for at least 6 hours:
By the way, did I say YUM yet???  Delizioso!!!  Even my teacher was impressed and she's from Italy :-)  But like I said, I still can't get over the fact that we are using raw eggs in this recipe.  I was so careful to be sure that the Tiramisu stayed cold during the trip to school.  I am guessing no one got sick after.  Phew!  I am definitely a Tiramisu snob now with this authentic recipe.  Thanks again to my Italian teacher for sharing. Grazie!!!

No comments: