Friday, September 23, 2011

New sewing project - My first owl

Here it is... my first hand-sewn owl on a baby onesie!
I got the idea/pattern of the owl from something that I had seen in a store. I took a picture of it on my phone and then tried to re-create it on paper later that day. Okay, no laughing! :-)
I then used parchment paper (not wax paper!) to trace out the owl's different parts/sections. I also had to then decide on which fabric to use from a bundle that I had purchased:
I had to make some slight adjustments to the owl's arms/wings and feet - making it simpler to cut and sew (which I'm glad I did!). And then, I laid it all out:
Here's the final product close-up! I used the blanket-stitch for the most part and the chain-stitch for the initials.
Not too bad for a first attempt! The stitching survived the washer and hopefully it will hold up in the dryer!
I also saw this other baby outfit with the tie in a gift store. And after finding out how expensive it was, I decided to make one of my own!
Maybe I should start my own line of baby clothes on the side! :-D

No comments: