Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Lesson learnt

I know it was very silly of me... but to have it happen TWICE is even sillier! About a month ago, I had left my purse on the top of the car and after putting Graham in his carseat, I drove off with the purse still on the roof of the car! Less than 1/4 of a mile later, I heard something and then saw something in the back-window on my rear-view mirror. I then realized that it was my purse! So, I turned around and sure enough, there was my purse in the middle of the road!

Well, yesterday... when I put my purse on top of the car, I made a mental note to myself about it. I strapped Graham in and of course, unknowingly drove off again with my purse on the roof top! This time, I did not hear or see anything and proceeded to send Graham to daycare. When I got home, I was planning out my day and that was when I realized that I had lost my purse! I got back into the car and traced my drive, which unfortunately was a longer one that day because Graham started his first day at his new daycare. When I didn't find my purse, I decided to take a walk along the streets. Half a mile later up and down the main street - nothing!

Feeling devastated and even more depressed after finding out that it was going to cost me $450 to replace my Permanent Residence card (yikes!!!), I went to the police station to report the incident. Thankfully Bobby was very supportive and helped me cancel all the credit/debit cards although he was momentarily upset when I did mention the price of the replacement greencard :-s

Anyhow, after dinner we all decided to go out for a walk and just as I got back into the house to get Graham's sippy cup, the phone rang. "Is this Cindy Pridgen?"... "Yes"... "I have your purse". You wouldn't believe how happy I was to hear those words!!! I immediately hopped in the car and drove over to this nice stranger's house. The purse did fall off along the street that I had walked on that morning but his wife had actually picked it up earlier when she found it by their mailbox. They found our name in the white pages (thank goodness people still use phone books!) and the address matched the one to my driver's license.

So, phew!!! Can't believe I was lucky the second time around! So yes, of course, I have learned my lesson. Don't ever and I mean, EVER put anything on the top of your car! And as much as I need to be carrying my greencard around, I think I'd rather know that it's safe at the bank!

No comments: