Thursday, August 5, 2010

My new car!

Amazingly... after 11 years of owning the Honda Civic, I finally got a brand new car! Yup, Daddy bought Mommy a new VW Stationwagon last Saturday!
It's the TDI model and runs on diesel. It sort of sounds like a clunker when you start it or when it's idle, but it drives really well. And it's fast! I guess anything would be faster than my Civic. I have to be more aware of my speed now and make sure I stick to 4th gear when I'm on the surface streets!
We have not sold the Civic yet. At 214,479 miles, it has definitely served me well.
Throughout all the road trips, it has never broken down on me. I've never had to change a flat tire on it. It's been stolen once (in west Phoenix) and I've been in one fender-bender and it wasn't even my fault! And so far, it has only cost me one ticket for aggressive driving - I was changing lanes without using my blinkers - everyone does that, right!!?!
Anyhow, I think that's a pretty darn good track record for my first car of 11 years! I'm definitely going to miss it, but "he" is getting old. The sun visors are really worn out so I've sewn covers for them (not very good looking ones, I'm terrible at sewing!). The radio/CD comes on or switches stations on its own, the sunroof opens well but can be stubborn when I try to close it, the light in the trunk works every now and then,... and just last week, the passenger window quit working! Come to think of it, the driver's side window quit working on me once when I pulled up to a golf course during a golf tournament. I had to put a towel over the door while I went out to play!
The list does go on (even growing tomato plants in the car while on the road!... as seen in pic above taken March 15, 2009) but the main reason for getting the new car was because it was not convenient to have baby Graham in the backseat of the Civic. And of course, Daddy got tired of driving my old Civic when I needed his Volvo stationwagon where we have the carseat base installed. We basically traded in one wagon for another. I feel quite bad because the main reason for trading the Volvo in was because once the baby's carseat was in, there was barely enough space for the front passenger. And unfortunately, with our miscalculation, it's almost the same case in the new VW stationwagon! Ops!!! But after a few crying spells on the way home, Daddy has decided that Mommy can continue sitting in the backseat. That way, I can soothe Graham with his pacifier and Daddy can continue listening to the Grateful Dead on the new satellite radio. Ahhh... we ARE spoiled!

No comments: