Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Garden update

The temperature in Tulsa has been so hot lately - in the 100s... and my tomato plant just can't manage! I have yet to see one tomato this summer. The flowers on the tomato plant are blooming but they would dry out even before it gets a chance to fruit! :-(
As you can see, I went with 3 pots this year and weirdly enough, the size of the tomato plant correlates with the size of the pot! The basil is doing great though, but no tomatoes mean no Caprese salad! :-(
I have been able to take some pictures around the garden though. Check these out:
Close up!!!
Can't wait till this lavender plant actually gets bigger and produces more flowers!
The following picture was taken during our vacation in New Zealand last year, in front of our motel room. Look at all that lavender! It smells amazing too! But watch out for the bees! Glad I didn't get stung. It sure makes my little plant look quite pathetic now though! There are actually lavender farms in NZ. It looks amazing when you're driving in the countryside. Just a sea of purple!
And I planted some sunflowers in the garden this year, but had to pull them out when we hit a dry spell.
My rose bush is making a come back too, after the flowers were being eaten by the deer! Or perhaps it was a rabbit!
Or maybe it was the grasshopper! We have some big ones here this year! Good thing we're not in China. The grasshoppers would be in a wok by now!
And can't finish up without a picture of Graham. He was so content in his new stroller yesterday! He was actually crying when he was being held, but once we set him in the stroller, he was quiet! He loves to sit looking forward and love to just takes every in!

3 comments:

rose sterling said...

My plants are surviving the total heat in here too. I just hope that they will not die until the summer ends. I like your sunflower and rose bush. They are really pretty and gorgeous.

melanie toy said...

Good luck on your lavender plant. I wished that it can bloom flowers like the flowers on the motel. Your rose seems to grow gorgeously. My garden is really battling with the heat-rain-heat weather.

Isabella Diaper said...

My tomatoes are also reacting negatively with the heat we are experiencing. Actually, only my peppers can withstand the heat. My tomato fruits start to turn yellow even with small size. I think I can call it premature riping. LOL. If it suits it best.