Saturday, October 21, 2023

Trip to Msia (KK & KL) ~ cont. (8/11-8/16)

Our adventures in Malaysia continues.  Here is our last breakfast at our hotel, overlooking some work along the coastline:

On our last night, my uncle invited us over for some home-made noodles.  Look at all the fixin's that go with it!  Yummm!!
My cousins and their children:
Aunts, uncle, and my sister's family, and Graham and Charlie are in the mix too:
My cousin has a hedgehog!  It's the cutest thing ever! I didn't dare to touch it though.  Ha ha!
It's finally time to leave my hometown of Kota Kinabalu.  At least I'll know the boys won't go very far when I park them outside of the toilets.  Ha!
We've had a good time in KK - visiting family and of course, eating all sorts of different foods:
Okay, a lot of phone time so far.  We're on the plane to Kuala Lumpur - short 2.5 hour journey:
Once in KL, we hop on the Express train to KL Sentral, the main train station:
Thankfully it's a quick 30 minutes and we don't have to deal with any traffic!  Plus, Charlie has taken his nap. We don't want a grumpy Charlie!

KL Sentral!
We decided to stay at the Pan Pacific Serviced-Suites in Bukit Bintang.  Wow, this suite is luxurious!
We normally wouldn't splurge like this but my best friend, who lives in Abu Dhabi is staying at this spot.  She and her family traveled back to Australia for their vacation and we managed to cross paths here in KL:
This is definitely more than enough space for us! And there's laundry behind the closet to the right too (photo below). Yay!!
Oh boy, we are pretty high up!  I think we were on the 20th floor??
For dinner on our first night, we decided to venture into the basement of a shopping mall.  Woah, so much food to eat in here!  Graham is curious about them cooking with a wok and a huge fire. Ha!
Happy boys :-)
Charlie bought this huge Chinese pastry of sorts.  He is definitely happy!
And Mommy is happy with more cendol :-)  Although I think this one actually needed more Gula Melaka (local brown sugar):
We venture back outside.  You can see KL Tower in the backdrop:
Yeah... definitely spoil these boys.  Boba for Charlie and something else for Graham:
OMG, it's SO busy in this section!
Did I mention there's a lot of people yet??!  
Even in KL, we can't escape the fancy cars:
I'm glad at least one of the boys is not afraid of heights.  Looks like Charlie is taking the bed by the window :-D
And I have a whole bedroom and an entire huge bed to myself!
Funny how I still just end up on one side. LOL!!
The next day, we are off into the city a bit.  Here's the Twin Towers:
We can actually go up to the viewing deck but decided not too, as today we have our friends with us!
Their little girt Abby was so fond of Charlie :-)
We decided to check out the Aquarium instead.  Jasper is the same age as Graham (13) but so much taller!!
Charlie loves his fish:
Big grouper!!
It's crazy to think that these animals actually look 30% smaller because of the thick glass:
So as big as this stingray is, it's even bigger in reality??!
After the Aquarium, we walk to another mall and have a quick snack. Wow, look at this chocolate crepe and chocolate milk shake!!
Okay, here's the better view of the Twin Towers. And looks like we all have the same spiky hair style. Ha!
Here's the pool by our hotel suite.  It's a roof-top pool.  I think I would be rather nervous by the edge of that pool.  Ha ha!
There's even a game room with free coffee and free tea!
At night, I catch up with some old friends, mostly from high school.  Unfortunately, it took them some time to get to this restaurant because of traffic:
Nonetheless, it was still a fun night.  Graham and Charlie got to experience Hot Pot for the first time and really enjoyed it :-)
The boys got a bit restless once dinner was done and it was mostly adults chit-chatting, so a friend's daughter accompanied them to a soft-serve/ice cream store:
By the time they were done with toppings and what not, I think it was almost like $25 per ice cream.  
Okay, that may not convert to a lot in US (approx. $6) but that's like 2 good bowls of noodles!!  But they are sooooo happy!
And even to this day, Graham still talks about wanting Tutti Frutti!

The next day, our friend is busy with some of their friends, so we head out to KLGCC - Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club to meet up with some more friends:
Charlie finally said that I have "so many friends".  LOL!!

This is actually the golf course where I played in a few LPGA/professional golf events - either by qualifying or via a sponsor's exemption.

Here are a couple old friends that have supported me through my golfing carrier:
Some friends from high school that live in KL now:
The main entry to the golf club - where the boys used to wait for our chauffeured cars.  Those were the days!
Here's looking back at October 2013.  About 10 years ago now.  Yikes - how quickly time flies!
So I didn't realize that Malaysia now has the 2nd tallest building in the world!  The Merdeka 118 is recorded at 2,227ft compared to the Burj Khalifa in Dubai at 2,717ft.  How about that!
We take a taxi to KL's Central Market to check out souvenirs and what not:
But while we have a few minutes to spare (waiting for our friends), we have some roti. Yummm :-)
After about an hour or so of walking around inside Central Market, we ditch the kids with my friend's husband.  I think they will be just fine.  Looks like everyone has a phone.  Ha ha!
Oh wait, a quick Teh Tarik first :-)
After Central Market, we walk over to Petaling Street.  This is where there's a lot of "cheap" name-branded items:
Thankfully it wasn't too busy.  A bit worried about pick-pockets!
I'm surprised we didn't buy anything!  Graham had talked about getting a watch, the G-Shock to be exact.  But he didn't stop or speak up.  So... back to Bukit Bintang to get dinner.

I'm so glad we decided on ramen for dinner.  OMG, this was soooo yummy!  And the restaurant was in a fancy food court, inside a Japanese department store!
So glad I got to catch up with my friend Judy and her family.  It's been so long since we've seen all of them.  Let's see.  We left Abu Dhabi 7 or 8 years ago now??!

On the way home, I'm finally able to wear my new watch.  Yay!
Ya, again - too concerned about pick-pockets. Maybe I should have bought a smaller one?  But that one would not have been automatic and scratch-proof.  Graham and Charlie did agree on this one anyway ;-)

We booked a car for our trip to the airport.  Stress-free!
Yup, still lots of phone time for these two:
And here....
Oh, we have access to the airline lounge.  Time to eat!
I can't seem to get away from noodles.  He he...!
Hey! There's the Etihad flight to Abu Dhabi!  I do miss living there at times.  I guess minus the summer heat of 115-120F though. Definitely don't miss that!
Okay, back to their phones.  These boys, I tell you:
What happened to reading books??
We definitely spoil these boys:
But they are having too much fun.  They will definitely remember this trip:
Charlie and his ramen noodles.  Ha ha, he loves it.  And that's after eating his regular meal:
And Graham loves the Japanese Curry.  Thankfully there's something for everyone!
Okay, half way point!  There's the airplane we just got off from:
Welcome to Haneda, Japan!!
Since we arrived really late at night and our flight isn't until the next morning, we decided to check into the airport hotel.  OMG, had to splurge on this one too.  It wasn't cheap for 1 night! Actually, I don't think it was even for 12 hours?

And oh, Graham totally figured out the buttons that work with the bidet in the toilet.  LOL!!!
It's amazing what they can fit in one little bathroom.  This is the cutest sink!
And I'm not sure why the faucet turns?
The boys have the 2 beds and looks like I have the futons on the floor.  Hmmm.... how did that happen?  Ha!
At least I got some pajamas to change into.  LOL!
I'm really not sure what we are watching here as everything is in Japanese. Ha ha!!
It was such a short sleep!  The next morning, we are faced with this long corridor...
Oh, we actually had complimentary passes to the spa, which I REALLY wanted to check out but we were all waaaaay too tired.

All the shops are still closed.  Noooo...!!!
I really wanted to check out these fancy reading glassed.  Probably best the store was closed anyway because I think they were rather expensive!
But these Pokémon underwear would have been so cool!!!
Okay, one last airport lounge:
Finally waiting at gate for our flight back to Chicago:
Graham and Charlie know the routine by now:
I'm really not sure what this selfie was about!  Hmm, perhaps it's because I'm finally wearing my mom's necklace again since I finally got it fixed in KK! Or, it's my spikey hair??
Time to destination: 10 hours and 48 minutes. We got this!!
Funny, after all these flights - Graham still looks at the flight safety card:
Graham does like airplanes.  He asked me to take a photo of him with all the model airplanes.  I believe this was at the Kuala Lumpur airport terminal :-)
And of course, he misses flying Etihad airways!  I'm so glad we took advantage of those discounted flights when we lived in Abu Dhabi.

Here are some of the food we ate on the airplane.  I thought ANA preparation for the kids' menu was just so cute!
I decided to go with one of the Japanese main meals:
This meal was actually (and thankfully) better than the last flight:
I thought it was so cute the way they rolled up the rice too!
On the way down, Charlie took some photos from his window:
Actually a LOT a LOT of photos!  But here's just a couple more:
Love the sunset (or was it sunrise?) one:
It seems that I would do pretty well with not being air-sick until the plane has to land.  And a couple extra turns really makes my belly feel funny!
The boys' first Malay word was "cicak", which is one of those little lizards that are constantly up along the walls and ceilings in and around the house.  So, they bought me a lizard pendant.  Too cute!
Here's the stash of local drinks that I brought home from Malaysia.  He he...!
And oh, Graham said that I brought contraband back from Japan.  It's actually Duty Free, but I'm not allowed to open the bag until I leave the country.  Yup, taking the opportunity to buy some fancy sunscreen :-)
A couple days after returning from the trip... oops!! Positive for Covid! Booo!!!
And weirdly enough, it was just me.  Both Graham and Charlie were totally fine.  And this is when I was totally banished into the basement too.  LOL!!

And Charlie didn't waste any time getting back into his fishing:
Oh, I have a photo of some dirty pile of dishes in the sink somewhere.  After a few days of Covid as well as being jetlagged, I went upstairs to get something to eat and O. M. G.... dishes everywhere in and around the sink!!

Bob has been implementing the "sink rule" though while I'm been back in my home country again. Since Dad is still in the hospital, my sister and I have been traveling back to see him. Oh, here is it!
Yup, let's hope the kitchen doesn't look like this when I get home.  Ha ha! Or maybe not so funny :-P

What an awesome trip it has been though.  Although, I wish Bobby had a chance to be with us more.  He only spent 1 week with us during our 3-week vacation. Hoping the boys will embrace their Malaysian/Chinese culture more while they grow up in the United States :-)

No comments: