Friday, February 13, 2009

New Picture frame!

So the idea started when I bought the World Map for Bob during Christmas. I started working on the frame last week but it was a disaster! I ended buying the wrong length of wood and was trying to compromise a few things here and there. Needless to say, my first attempt for the new picture frame was in the dumps! The only way it would work was if it was just framed on the ground and never be picked up again. Yup, it was THAT bad!!! Somehow, the execution was not quite what I envisioned. Hmm... sounds like my golf!

Anyhow, Part 2 of the project - I ended up going back to Lowe's for more material earlier this week. I was tempted to buy more wood but figured I would deal with what I already had. I did get a big piece of plywood as the backing of the frame. And of course, it wouldn't fit into my car! So I had to cut it into half and that just lead to more carpentry complications! I have to say, it was quite fun using the circular saw though, but what a mess! And of course who knows how much saw dust I inhaled during the entire process! After some progress, I decided to take a break and figured I needed to go back to Lowe's for more "artillery". Yes... artillery meaning duct tape!!! Everything can be solved with duct tape! It was quite embarrassing though to seen at Lowe's so many days in a row as I'm starting to know the employees there!
And finally... today was Part 3 - after spending about 4-5 hours in the garage and probably about 80 nails later, my picture frame is all done! There are a few crinkles here and there, but overall, I think it's a pretty good job for an amateur. Needless to say, I'm sore from hammering and my neighbors are probably glad that I'm done with all that noise! See honey, I think a nail gun would be so nice!
All I have to do now is stain and of course, sign off at the back of my masterpiece. I haven't attached any hanging hooks to the frame yet, so hopefully when that's done, it will actually stay on the wall!!!

No comments: