Friday, May 3, 2024

Flowers

Here are some photos of a few flowers that are currently blooming around us. So pretty! So let's start:

Tulips:
There were a small bunch in the front yard that were gnawed off by some animal.  I'm guessing deer? But I didn't think they would get so close to the front door!  I have seen some bright red tulips while driving around - I really like how those look in a garden.  So we'll see for next year :-)

Who knew there were yellow magnolias?!  
I do love the pink one and most definitely the white ones.  Maybe at some point we will get one for our yard, but we already have sooooo many trees and shrubs!  Including these purple lilacs.  Oh man, you can smell these when you walk by the plants.  Smell so good!
I'm so glad I have this App on my phone that can identify flowers and plants.  This one is the Virginia Bluebell.  So cute!
Forget-me-nots.  For some reason, I thought these flowers would be bigger, but they are actually quite tiny:
Even the pine cones are growing on the blue spruce:
Random mushroom at the end of a stick?!  Yeah, we have been getting a lot of rain and I guess this stick stayed moist enough for something to grow on it.  Ha!
I have so many Lily of the Valley and hostas that I've packed them for some neighbors:
The one Japanese Yew seems to be doing well.  You can see the new growth that's a lighter green:
I can't say the same for the other Yew - I don't know why this other one is dying. Noooo...!!
And oh, I though this type of lavender was a perennial.  But I just noticed this same plant in the store and it was labeled Annual.  I guess I was wrong to think that it was going to grow back.  Looks like I've killed another lavender plant!  Booohooo!!
And oh, also found these leaves folded in on the hydrangeas:
It seems that these little moth caterpillars called Leaftiers wrapped themselves in these leaves before they morph into moths. It happened like overnight because I walked out into the garden and there were dozen of leaves that were wrapped in each plant! Ewww...!!

Bob the Cactus seems to be doing very well indoors.  He seems to like this one spot in the dining room, so I guess I'll just keep in there for now.
Look at all his little babies! The new babies are all leaning towards the sunny window though - so funny. It's always so tricky to move him because he is getting quite heavy in that little pot and all his little thorns are so fine that it gets really tricky when I rub myself even a tiny bit on him!

More updates to follow on all the garden/yard work :-)

No comments: